Saturday, June 28, 2014

Shots shots shots shotsSHOTSshots!!

Okay so I was going to write earlier this week about the pregnancies and deliveries of both my girls, but when I started typing, the words weren't coming to me so I decided I should wait until my heart was in it. 

Don't get me wrong, I absolutely love talking about my pregnancies and deliveries as much as the crunchy mom next to me, but sometimes the words come out better on other days. 

Anyway! Shots... 

Saying I hate getting shots is an understatement. I remember my brother being in the hospital for strep pneumonia (I think that's what it was-my 8 year old mind might be playing tricks on me) and feeling like I was going to pass out when they had to give him an IV. I never felt that feeling again... until 2 nights ago. 

I started taking the small tummy injections on June 16th. Despite the fact that it took me about 456 times of saying "Okay... Ready?- Okay... Ready? One, two- Okay ready?" as my husband stood behind me laughing "yes babe, I'm ready...", I did it and I was pleasantly surprised that it hurt no more than the tiny Lalaloopsy toys I step on everyday. Actually, it didn't hurt nearly half that pain. It was quick, easy and... over. 

My nightly Lupron injections were a piece of cake. I even let K watch me the night she got her shots from the doctor (which is a story in itself). Then Thursday came. Thursday I started to take the bigger needles on my bum. The video seemed like a piece of cake, but it FREAKED. ME. OUT. I couldn't even give myself the teenie Lupron shot I had been doing for DAYS with no problem. 

I cried.

I'm not gonna lie. I was so frustrated, I walked over to the bed and asked my husband to please come help me because I can't do it myself. Because he loves me so much, he quickly walked me to the bathroom and told me it was okay and reassured me I was more than capable of doing this. With his support, and the thought of my intended parents happiness, I did it. 

Then came the big bum needle. 

So from all the YouTube videos I watched, I could go slow and be okay even though "in the motion of a dart" is what the suggested video told me to do. So I put the needle on my bum and lightly pushed it into my skin. I felt the needle pierce but felt no pain, so I finished placing the needle and about half way through I remember saying "I feel reeeeeeally dizzy" and felt my husband wrap his arms around me to catch my fall. Yep, my fall. I felt my knees buckling as I was injecting the oil and remember thinking "I will NOT fall because with my luck, I'm gonna fall on the damn needle and hurt myself even more. Let me finish injecting and then I can pass out." 

Yes, those were my thoughts. After I injected and pulled the needle out, I thought "Hey that wasn't that bad!". But let's remember, I'm still super dizzy and I still can't stand on my own. So my thoughts might be different next time I inject (Tuesday). 

For the record, yeah my butt still hurts, but it's probably cause I injected the needle super slow. 

I'm hopeful that my injection on Tuesday goes a bit better than this past Thursday. Although I dislike shots, I'm still excited for this journey and I know every needle is worth it for these parents. I'm so thankful for my healthy body and happy to be able to carry for this amazing family. 

Stay tuned, because next post will be about the Journey of K, unless I decide to make a video (as promised to some of my favorite Facebook mommas) and talk more about my shots. 

Hope you all have a lovely weekend- until next time! 

2 comments:

  1. I totally get you. I have a fear of shots. God Bless sweet mama!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Use ice to numb the area before. That helped me so much! I would seriously let the ice sit for up to an hour before I would even let Frankie get the needle ready. Finally, I would lie down on the bed, put in my headphones, close my eyes, and he would do them for me. They do get easier after awhile. I promise!!!

    ReplyDelete